The external Canon CP-E4N Compact Battery Pack for select Canon Speedlites improves flash recycle times significantly and increases the number of firings before batteries need to be replaced.
Like its predecessor, the updated Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N holds 8 x AA-size batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable Ni-MH type. It uses the same type of connector to the high-voltage input socket on Canon’s 500- and 600-series speedlites, so it can be used with not only the latest Speedlite 600EX II-RT, but the previous 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 580EX, and even the long-discontinued Speedlite 550EX.
The Canon CP-E4N is designed to be a best-match external battery pack to use with the latest Speedlite 600EX II-RT. Among the biggest changes in the updated speedlite are the increased number of continuous flashes that can be fired, and increased reliability in terms of heat resistance. The CP-E4N battery pack mirrors those refinements, offering demanding flash shooters a battery pack that’s designed to match the continuous shooting performance of this latest speedlite.
- Re-designed, heat-resistant circuitry within the battery pack, to minimize internal heat build-up during rapid, continuous flash firing and recycling
- Internal temperature sensors to detect dangerous levels of heat, and prevent circuitry from damage during continuous, high-demand shooting
- Special external power supply detection circuit, which can be read by Speedlite 600EX II-RT - this allows the speedlite to take full advantage of CP-E4N battery pack’s additional continuous shooting capability. (If the 600EX II-RT does not receive this new signal, such as if it’s used with the older Compact Battery Pack CP-E4, the number of continuous flashes is controlled to minimise risk of heat build-up within the external battery pack.)
- Flame-retardant, higher-grade exterior housing and battery compartment cover, to further resist both short-term and long-term risk of damage to battery pack from internal heat
- Both ends of the coiled connecting cord to the speedlite are re-shaped, and stronger to resist bending, flexing, and long-term deterioration or breakage (the actual connector for the high-voltage socket in compatible speedlites is unchanged)
- Quieter operation during flash recycle, compared to previous CP-E4 battery pack